The Influence of Using Genre Based Instruction (GBI) in Writing Skill Exposition Text in Students SMPN 3 Pringgarata
This study was aimed at finding out the influence of genre-based instructional model in the teaching of writing skills viewed from students’ text exposition. This study employed a quasi-experimental research design. The samples consisted of two classes in which one class was treated by using genre-based instructional (GBI) model and the second class was subjected to the process-based instruction (PBI) model. The writing exposition text were functioned as research instruments to collect the data in both classes. The data were analyzed by using the multifactor analysis of variance (ANOVA). The research finding informed that the GBI model was more influence than the PB model I. It was proved with the value of Process-Based Instruction (56) was lower than Genre Based Instruction (69). It means that the used of Genre Based instructional model have influence in writing skills exposition text. The finding indicates that there is significant interaction between instructional being applied in the teaching of writing skill exposition text.
2. Zainurrahman. (2011). Menulis dari teori hingga praktik. Bandung: Alfabeta.
3. Emilia, E. (2013). Pendekatan genre-based dalam pengajaran bahasa inggris: petunjuk untuk guru. Bandung: Rizqi Press.
4. Maryanto, dkk. (2013). Buku guru ekspresi diri dan akademik. Jakarta: Pusat
5. Kosasih, E. (2014). Jenis-jenis teks: Analisis fungsi, struktur, dan kaidah serta langkah penulisannya. Bandung: Yrama Widia.
6. Emilia, E. (2011). Pendekatan genre-based dalam pengajaran bahasa Inggris: Petunjuk untuk guru. Rizqy Press.
7. Abigail, Monica. 2015. Belajar Menulis. Surabaya: JP Books
8. Creswell, J. W. (2013). Research design: pendekatan kualitatif, kuantitatif, dan mixed. Yogyakarta: Pustakapelajar.
9. Fraenkel, J. R. Dkk. (2012). How to design and evaluate research in education,
8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
10. Anggaira, Aria Septi. (2012) “Using a Genre-Based Approach to Improve the English Writing Competence of VIII A Students of SMPN 3 Metro Lampung in the Academic Year 2011/2012” Lumbung Pustaka: Universitas NegeriYogyakarta.
11. Sulastri (2010). Peningkatan Keterampilan Menulis Discussion Text Berdasarkan Konsep the Genre Based Approach Pada Siswa Kelas Xii IPA 3 SMA Negeri 1 Surakarta. Institutional Repository; Universitas Muhammadyah Surakarta.
12. Sugiyono. (2016). Statistika untuk penelitian. Bandung: Alfabeta
13. Richards, J.C. (2015). Key Issues in Language Teaching. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
14. Irawan, L.A (2020) Triggering Preservice Teachers’ Writing Skills Through Genre-Based Instructional Model Viewed From Creativity. International Journal of Evaluation and Research in Education.
15. Rosmaya, Elin (2018) Pembelajaran Menulis Teks Eksposisi Dengan Menggunakan Pendekatan Kooperatif Tipe Investigasi Kelompok Di SMP .Junrna Pendidikan Bahasa dan Sastra Indonesia Vol 5, No 1 (2018.
16. C. Coffin, M. J. Curry, S. Goodman, A. Hewing, T. M. Lilis, & J. Swann, Teaching academic writing: A toolkit for higher education. New York: Routledge, 2003.
17. J. Harmer, How to teach writing. London: Pearson Education, 2004.
18. A. Syarof, D. Kuswahono., & H. Rizky, "Implementing process writing strategy using weblogs to improve students’ ability in writing descriptive text," Lingua Cultura, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 351-355, 2018.
19. X. Rusinovci, "Teaching Writing Through Process-Genre Based Approach,", vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 699-705, 2015.
20. Haerazi, Developing an interculture-based language learning model in the teaching of writing skills for English language education in higher education. S3 Dissertation, Dept. of Language Education Science, UNY, 2018.
21. J. C. Richards, "Communicative language teaching today. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2006.
22. J. Hammond, A. Burns, H. Joyce, D. Brosnan, L. Gerot, N. Solomon, & S. Hood, English for social purposes: A handbook for teachers of adult literacy. Sydney: National Centre for English Language Teaching and Research, Macquarie University, 1992.
23. Burgos, E. G. "Use of the genre-based approach to teach expository essays to English pedagogy students," HOW, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 141-159, 2017.
24. Feez, S., & Joyce, H, "Text-based syllabus design. Sydney: National Cntre for English Language Teaching and Research, 2002
25. Nurlaelawati, I., & Novianti, N., "The practice of genre-based pedagogy in Indonesian schools: a case of pre-service teachers in Bandung, West Java Province," Indonesian Journal of Applied Linguistics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 160, 2017
26. K. Hyland, "Genre-based pedagogies: A social response to process," Journal of Second Language Writing, vol. 12, pp. 17-29, 2003.
27. Abbaszadeh, "Genre-based approach and second language syllabus design," Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, vol. 84, pp. 1879-1884, 2013.
Copyright (c) 2022 Hendra Suryadi, Evi Safitri Yulandari
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Please find the rights and licenses in EDUKASIA. By submitting the article/manuscript of the article, the author(s) agree with this policy. No specific document sign-off is required.
The non-commercial use of the article will be governed by the Creative Commons Attribution license as currently displayed on Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. Author(s)' Warranties
The author warrants that the article is original, written by stated author(s), has not been published before, contains no unlawful statements, does not infringe the rights of others, is subject to copyright that is vested exclusively in the author and free of any third party rights, and that any necessary written permissions to quote from other sources have been obtained by the author(s).
3. User/Public Rights
EDUKASIA's spirit is to disseminate articles published are as free as possible. Under the Creative Commons license, EDUKASIA permits users to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work for non-commercial purposes only. Users will also need to attribute authors and EDUKASIA on distributing works in the journal and other media of publications. Unless otherwise stated, the authors are public entities as soon as their articles got published.
4. Rights of Authors
Authors retain all their rights to the published works, such as (but not limited to) the following rights;
- Copyright and other proprietary rights relating to the article, such as patent rights,
- The right to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books,
- The right to reproduce the article for own purposes,
- The right to self-archive the article,
- The right to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the article's published version (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal (EDUKASIA: Jurnal Pendidikan dan Pembelajaran).
If the article was jointly prepared by more than one author, any authors submitting the manuscript warrants that he/she has been authorized by all co-authors to be agreed on this copyright and license notice (agreement) on their behalf, and agrees to inform his/her co-authors of the terms of this policy. EDUKASIA will not be held liable for anything that may arise due to the author(s) internal dispute. JOSI will only communicate with the corresponding author.
Being an open accessed journal and disseminating articles for free under the Creative Commons license term mentioned, author(s) aware that EDUKASIA entitles the author(s) to no royalties or other fees.
EDUKASIA will publish the article (or have it published) in the journal if the article’s editorial process is successfully completed. EDUKASIA's editors may modify the article to a style of punctuation, spelling, capitalization, referencing and usage that deems appropriate. The author acknowledges that the article may be published so that it will be publicly accessible and such access will be free of charge for the readers as mentioned in point 3.